Screening Gender why & what?
Why? Screening Gender key words:
- Screening Gender = Diversity: The media do not mirror the changing roles of women and men in society.
- Screening Gender = Quality: Creative thinking about male and female portrayal can help to break through production routines and can broaden journalistic choices.
- Screening Gender = Audience Appeal: Audiences have become increasingly fragmented and more demanding. Programmes with wider scope for identification are more likely to have audience appeal.
What - A training tool kit which
- illustrates the current situation on television, based on the projects own research as well as several international studies;
- demonstrates some of the alternatives available to programme-makers in portraying gender;
- is distributed in Europe and elsewhere and can be modified to all interested user groups.
In a Swedish car magazine programme, the man test drives the car and the woman tests a children's safety chair. Does this reflect non-stereotypical gender portrayal?